Woodworking

Cello fixin’

Here’s a Chinese cello I got off Craig’s List for a song. It had been de-strung before a cross-country move. The soundpost shifted, and then an impact split the cheesy, but solid and hand-carved spruce top in a few places. Looked like a straightforward repair, and I’ve been wanting a cello, so I picked it […]

Nautilus Mandolins – Tone Bar Fitting Jig

c1915 Weymann Keystone State Mandolute – Repair Process

Before restoration: The process:

Revisiting the 5-string electric mandolin / mandola…

That extra C string is getting a lot of interest lately. And this post from last year is getting a lot of visits from people looking for 5-string electric instruments. So I thought it might be time to dust off the ideas for a 5-string electric. Here’s where they are headed… with a splittable Alumitones […]

New neck machining process

So I’ve spent most of this week developing an improved neck machining process, refining the design of the necks to correct a couple little things which have bothered me about them, and developing a new “long neck” neck variant that results in bridge position more like the “Ms. Griffith” Loar A-5. I don’t know if […]

Hanging out with David, Tom, and #16 – Cold Rain and Snow

David Mold, Tom Haywood, and I onĀ Cold Rain and Snow.

British Isles tunes on #21 from David Mold (OldSausage)

Some awesome renditions of Irish and Scottish tunes courtesy of David Mold and the MandolinCafe Song of the Week group. David’s playing Jacobson Nautilus #21, one of the two Black Tie mandolins, and making it sound great!

Bach Prelude Comparison Video

Here’s a comparison of the spring batch (less #17 mark II). Bach Prelude (BWV1007) from the first Cello Suite.

David rocks out on Nautilus Mandolins

Thanks to David Mold for this video. http://mandoliniana.blogspot.com/ http://www.youtube.com/user/davidmold

A Nautilus Mandolin for Classical Music- #16

Finishing #17mkII and #18

Spraying nitrocellulose lacquer on #17mkII and #18. #17mkII will also have a french polished top. The depth of the bubinga, maple, and mahogany are really starting to sparkle.

Video of #18 in the white….

And here’s #17, for comparison…

#18 takes shape…

Inlays for #20 and #21

Family portrait — Spring 2013 Batch

Pictured are #19, #17, #18, #21, #20. Can’t wait to string them up!

#18 coming along quickly…

#17 ready to box up… again

Spring 2013 Batch

Test Fitting Redwood and Bubinga Nautilus Mandolin #17

Nautilus Mandolin side bending fixture, Version 13

This fixture is the 13th version I have built over the past year. In this case, thirteen is a very lucky number! It is repeatable, controllable, easy to use, quick, and does not consume air or power in order to operate. I can finally move on to gearing up for my octave mandolin and mandola […]

Redwood tops and Bubinga backs

Batch of tops and backs for December 2012 instruments. #17, #18, #20. Bruce Harvie’s handwriting still on this one:

Nautilus #15 – In the driver’s seat where she belongs

Just got some color on #15. Needs some french polishing and finish leveling, but it’s shaping up nicely.

Nautilus #15 Progress

Nautilus #15 & #16 – Fretboards & inlay

Inlay progress & CNC headstock drilling for #15 and #16.

Nautilus Mandolin Project

Sound samples: http://www.martinjacobson.com/heron.mp3 http://www.martinjacobson.com/heron2.mp3

Nautilus Mandolin Mockups & Fixturing

Here are some mockups and fixtures for my ongoing Nautilus mandolin project. It is an affordable instrument intended to bring exceptional tone and playability to a lower price point, through the use of modern automation and traditional instrument voicing techniques.

Basilisk Mandolin Design

Maucacaube Les Paul

A friend and fellow Industrial Designer asked me to help him build a swamp ash Les Paul over the summer of 2004. While shopping for the materials for his guitar, I found a piece of extremely rare rosewood from the Amazon, called “Maucacaube”. It was a small piece, so I decided to build a LP […]

Nordic Mandolin #3